The care we provide consists of the following:
- Each visit is scheduled for 1 hour to allow for plenty of time to answer your questions and make a thorough assessment.
- Consultation visit: a chance for us to meet and discuss mutual questions and the appropriateness of homebirth for your individual situation. A dietary evaluation is included. There is no charge for this interview.
- Initial visit: medical history, paperwork, physical exam, how to prepare for the birth, dietary review.
- Prenatal visits: once monthly until 28th week, every two weeks until the 36th week and every week thereafter until birth, or as often as necessary for your individual situation. One visit, usually in the last month, will be made to your home.
- Labor and birth care: in your home as long as necessary. Attendants stay a minimum two hours postpartum and longer if warranted.
- Newborn Care: Newborn exam following birth, along with evaluation at each postpartum visit.
- Postpartum visits: at one and five days in your home, at two weeks and six weeks at our office or as often as necessary (visit dates are approximate).
- Nutritional counseling: throughout your pregnancy.
- An experienced midwife and one apprentice are usually present at the birth as well as most prenatal and postpartum visits.
- Waterbirth option for all clients.
- Ultrasound and lab work as needed.
- At least 2 prenatal visits to discuss wishes, fears and concerns for the birth of your baby.
- Explore comfort measures & labor support techniques as well as the role you wish me to play.
- Assistance with your birth plan.
- Use of my childbirth library books and videos.
- 24-hour on call beginning 2 weeks before your estimated due date.
- Continuous labor support as soon as the mother wishes.
- I will join you when you feel the need for extra support.
- Answer questions, offer encouragement and support with your labor.
- Offer relaxation tips, massage, position changes, hot or cold packs, water therapy, birthing ball, rocking, swaying, breathing, music or visualization techniques.
- I will make sure your partner's needs are met.
- I will stay with you in the time immediately following your baby's birth.
- Assistance with breastfeeding.
- Make sure other non-medical needs are met.
- Postpartum follow-up visit to review your birth experience, answer any questions and provide additional newborn care and breastfeeding advice.
I can provide you with montrice services in your home but not at the hospital. Montrice services are outside the scope and practice of a labor doula and include taking maternal vitals, assessing fetal heart tones and cervical dilation exams. These can be helpful if you are wishing to stay at home for the better part of your labor but want to be sure to make it to the hospital on time for your birth. Montrice services are not for medical treatment, but only to assess your progress in labor.
Childbirth Education Classes
Having a child is an exciting time in one’s life. Our Childbirth Education Series offers unbiased, evidence based information in order to effectively make the many choices during this amazing time. We truly believe that birth is a normal life process and women’s bodies are designed perfectly for childbearing. Based on the motto of the International Childbirth Education Association, “freedom of choice based on knowledge of alternatives” this course offers a curriculum dedicated to educating parents about options and alternatives. A few of the topics that will be discussed are relaxation techniques, writing a realistic birth plan, comfort measures in labor, choosing a healthcare provider/place of birth, stages of labor, benefits of a doula/labor support, medical interventions, cesarean birth/VBAC, and introductions to breastfeeding and baby care. This class is interactive with activities and a multimedia presentation format. Classes are kept small for optimal learning and one-on-one attention. All mothers are welcome regardless of chosen place of birth, sexual orientation, or relationship status.
Early Pregnancy Sessions
This class is designed for the newly pregnant woman and her partner. Spend an evening together learning about your baby and some of the exciting changes and decisions surrounding pregnancy. The class will touch on:
- The development and growth of your baby
- Learning how to nurture your body and your baby
- Exploring the upcoming changes of pregnancy
- Nutrition and supplementation
- Discuss choices for care providers and place of birth
- Relaxation throughout pregnancy
- Working through fears and concerns related to pregnancy
The comfort and safety of the mother and baby are of the utmost concern at all times. You will be comfortably supported in a semi-reclined or side-lying position using pillows and cushions for proper support. Only high quality organic creams and lotions are used.